Sunday 23 March 2014

Sunday Showcase: Introducing Mike Wells

Welcome to the first 'official' Sunday Showcase - here is where I will be uploading and having a look at any new up and coming authors in the industry.
So for this past week or so I have been delving into the dark depths of social media - talking to you guys and trying to track down the 'star' of this weeks' Showcase. After a barrage of messages and reading manuscript after manuscript, I have finally found an author who I think deserves to be my number one this week.



I have chosen to feature Mike Wells, American best selling author of the Lust, Money and Murder series and amassing a collection of 20 other titles under his belt. Admittedly, I haven't heard of him beforehand, nor have read anything before that he has written. Coming across him by sheer fluke, I followed him on Twitter and he then contacted me to share Book 1 of Lust, Money and Murder. At once I was dubious - I so rarely get into Thriller/mystery/suspense titles that most of the novels I read end up blurred and desolate in the background on my mind. However, I was determined to give it a go and lay previous experiences aside.

At once I was hooked by the gorgeous scenery the romantic nature of the character meeting a mysterious rich man in the Italian Riviera. I was grossly interested at how both characters interacted romantically and inseparably with one another - but really had no personally interest nor passion for the other at all. I had to admit I was reading and thinking at the same time; "God I hope one of them gets bumped off." - I wasn't disappointed either! As one of our opening characters soars majestically over a cliff, we are then introduced to the novel's protagonist, Elaine Brogan and her journey into adulthood.

Reading through Elaine's memories - especially of her father, I couldn't help but wonder a little where it was leading - which in retrospect, what was what kept me hooked and helped me not give into my usual stereotype of avoiding crime and thriller novels like the plague.

We see Elaine blossom quietly from a shy little flower, through an awkward school phase into an independent young lady in just a matter of paragraphs. The memories are short lived and don't tend to veer too far from the point that Wells' is orchestrating across. When Elaine makes one of the first true adult decisions of joining a modelling agency, we begin to see some of that hard confidence that I visualised when first glancing at her name.

Without giving too much of the plot away, Elaine learns what it means to have to grow up too fast in such a harsh reality, thus a tragic turn of events sends her spiralling into adulthood with an agenda and a plan - taking her from beautiful places such as the heart of America and Moscow.

As mentioned I have only had the chance to read book one, which I believe Wells' has uploaded directly onto his website for public viewing. I would suggest going to have a quick read - even if you are dubious as well about crime and thriller novels, is I'm sure this would certainly change that stereotype and engulf you in the world of Elaine Brogan.



If you're interested in seeing more of Wells' work, you can visit his official website; http://www.mikewellsbooks.com/ If you're a tweeter you can also follow his daily movements here; https://twitter.com/MikeWellsAuthor

Check back next Sunday for my next weekly Showcase! In the meantime, if you are interested in featuring you can drop me an email at; daggersunderdaisies@gmail.co.uk with a brief bio about yourself and what you'd love for me to read.

Until then, happy weekend!

- H

2 comments:

  1. Great review, making me want to go out and buy the book......
    Lulu Gee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would definitely recommend if you're looking for something thrilling and exciting Lulu :)

    ReplyDelete